Here is the recipe for White Chicken Chili that I made for the Watermark 2015 Soup & Chili Cook Off.
I started with this recipe from The Pioneer Woman:
I’ve made it that way before, but have since simplified it a bit, so the main modifications are below.
- I use shredded chicken breasts instead of the fryer chicken.
- I use 2 cans of Great Northern Beans, rinsed.
- Because of using the canned beans instead of dry beans, I use 4 cups chicken broth (I like using Better than Bouillon chicken base) and later 1/2 cup milk.
- I use red onion because that’s what we have on hand from the garden.
- I did not include the jalapeño.
I tend to just “wing it” when I cook, especially with spices and such, so I often don’t have my versions of things written down.
We usually eat it with homemade bread (based on basic Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day recipe) which I also brought to the cook off :
I almost always just mix up enough dough for one larger loaf, so I divide the basic recipe by three (so I use 1 cup warm water, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp yeast, a little over 2 cups unbleached flour). I also don’t use the hot water bath when cooking (because I like to simplify).